Norway is putting on a major Bitcoin conference with the likes of Hodlonaut, Peter Todd and Knut Svanholm, topped off with an otherworldly rave running on Lightning.
Scandinavia may not be the first region that comes to mind when you think of Bitcoin, but tiny Norway has become the number one mining hub in Europe.
With less than 0.07% of world population, the Norwegians churn out a solid 3% of Bitcoin’s global hashrate, mostly due to cheap, stranded and renewable hydropower in the north.
Now Norway is hosting the world’s most Bitcoin experience (sic): Northern Lightning 2023 ⚡
Northern Lightning 2023 takes place in Bergen, Norway from the 17th to the 19th of March, and the Norwegians are going all out it seems.
– Everything has been designed for and by bitcoiners, from the keynotes to the food to the parties to the merch. Merch is limited to 21 numbered copies, of course, explains Erik Dale, host of Scandinavia’s most popular Bitcoin podcast and the main conference organizer.
– Our vision is an annual, intimate experience bringing Bitcoin to a new Nordic city each year, until hyper-bitcoinized and beyond.
This first edition is a three-day Bitcoin conference in a historical setting among the dramatic scenery and wooden harbors of Bergen, headlined by the greatest minds in Bitcoin, with the opportunity to orange pill hundreds of no-coiners at a massive party running on Lightning.
Hodlonaut, Knut Svanholm and Peter Todd are just some of the great bitcoiners joining, covering topics like monetary liberation, Bitcoin adoption and Lightning innovation.
Focused on bringing bitcoiners together and creating deep connections with minimal stage-staring, Northern Lightning says it wants to provide the purest signal anywhere.
– Even the DJs are bitcoiners.
The DJs? Yes.
The highlight of Northern Lightning is one of the largest AFK Bitcoin onboarding events in the world: an all-night rave with hundreds of no-coiners all using Lightning.
Headlined by Norway’s leading electronic artists, including Karolinski, Matiago, Klysterik, Antibakke and Trym Søvdsnes, it is set to be a unique orange pilling opportunity.
– A lineup this good would fill any venue. So what happens when 400 thirsty no-coiners meet 200 bitcoiners and they all need Lightning to buy a beer?
Dale explains they want to create an unforgettable real-world experience of Bitcoin for everyone every year, and a rave running on Lightning is a perfect start.
Party goers will have the opportunity to use Lightning when buying drinks, renting towels or buying merch, and even buy Bitcoin for cash p2p when onboarding.
– A little less conversation, a little more Bitcoin action.
As for the venue, Smien Laksevåg Verft is Bergen’s oldest ship wharf, recently converted into a nightclub opening directly onto the fjord, which will offer free welcome drinks as well as sauna use and an all night barbecue.
Talk of raves may not appeal to the more family-oriented, but Dale assures us that Northern Lightning 2023 has got you and your little ones covered too.
Dale’s daughter, Lykushka (9) is organizing the kids’ corner and workshop, a space to educate young minds about Bitcoin while having lots of fun.
– I love when my kids make friends with other bitcoiners’ kids. They’re usually brilliant too.
Whether it will make them think mommy and daddy are more or less nuts remains to be seen, but they will be welcomed every day until 10 pm at Northern Lightning.
Northern Lightning is less than two weeks away and passes are selling out fast.
The main conference pass, including keynotes, workshops, dinners, meetups and parties, will sell out this weekend. After that, only limited passes are available.
– We basically sold out in a week, but the limited passes are pretty awesome and you’re not gonna want to miss out, says Dale.
Bitcoin Magazine and Timechain.no is sending a crew to cover Northern Lightning 2023.
Join us in Bergen.